Over a third of Americans listen to podcasts, yet Netflix has fewer subscribers than podcasters. If you have a podcast, you need to figure out a way to get listeners to prioritize your podcast above other things.
While promotion is crucial, only some know the best ways to advertise a podcast. And poor PR exists, which runs counter to common assumptions. Here are some suggestions for promoting your podcast in a manner that will be good for its success.
The popularity of podcasts has grown in a manner that’s not dissimilar to that of weblogs. Podcasts have followed blogs as a tool for individuals to build their newspapers, journals, and magazines. Podcasting is simple but requires more effort to advertise than blogging.
Patreon podcasters and other podcasting masters gave podcast promotion advice. Patreon is an easy-to-use website that converts fans into paying subscribers.
Subscribers to your Patreon may join up to pay a certain amount each month or every output (such as a podcast episode). As many podcasters use this platform, podcasters may gain from adopting Patreon like sites. These sites also offer similar features like Patreon. We compiled their advice into seven podcast marketing approaches with how-to guides.
Are you prepared to start advertising your podcast to attract thousands of new listeners? Then, how about we go right into
7 Podcast Marketing Strategies for Your Business
This piece will provide our best recommendations for promoting your podcast in 2023.
- Submit to Apple’s iTunes
As reported by Neiman Lab, iTunes is the preferred platform for listening to podcasts. Therefore, you should be there if you want to get to the top of the rankings. If you have a podcast series, you should make it accessible on iTunes.
Methods for getting your podcast on Apple’s Podcast:
- Join the Podcast Connect community on Apple’s iTunes. If you already have an Apple ID, you may use it to sign in here; if not, you can easily make one.
- To add a new podcast, go to the iTunes Podcast Connect Dashboard and click the “+” button in the upper left corner. Simply click the button and paste the URL of your RSS feed into the blank field that appears.
- Select the “Validate” button. There will be an immediate preview window. Preview everything to ensure it looks good and fix anything that doesn’t.
A moderator is currently reviewing any podcasts uploaded to Apple Podcast. It may take as many as ten days for your Feed to become live, so try not to stress you.
In reality, several podcasts succeed in less than a few hours. But this is the absolute maximum time frame. Some others may not be made public for up to three days.
- Write Effective Show Notes for Social Media, SEO, and Links
When an episode has been recorded and is about ready for publication, it’s time to write up some show notes. A listener will read the episode’s program notes to understand better what to expect. Plus, they are crucial for enticing people to press play.
Don’t stress if the thought of writing makes you cringe. You are already on the right road if you use social media and a blog to promote your program.
The format of these show notes is flexible. They could be short and direct viewers to the episode, or they may give pertinent information and connections.
- Show notes may be tailored for search engines to boost their exposure and listenership.
- Improve your show notes’ SEO and social media shareability. First, make the notes simple to share, then incorporate appealing calls to action.
- Establish an Audience on Social Networking Sites
If you are lost for words, promote your podcast on social media. Grow your following by posting to your accounts, sharing with influencers, and buying ads.
According to DataReporter, 9% of the world’s population uses social media for 2 hours and 29 minutes daily. You can establish an audience on your networking sites in a variety of ways:
- Social networking is the best way to acquire new podcast listeners. You’ll need 500 likes on each channel before promoting the program.
- Contacting essential people may be sensible if their followers fit your target audience. Influential persons or organizations launch successful product or service campaigns.
- Including hashtags in your tweets or posts is a great way to get your message seen by more people. Proper use of them may increase the number of individuals who learn about your efforts.
Share episode links and new release announcements on social media to attract listeners. If you are serious about advertising your podcast, use something other than social media.
- Send Your Podcast to the Major Indexes.
Submitting to as many podcast directories as possible will promote your program. Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and Spotify have the most downloads. But other channels may get you additional listeners, too.
Your podcast will require an RSS feed to be included on these sites. As the name implies, “Really Simple Syndication” (RSS) is a very basic form of online publishing. The RSS feed is updated whenever a new podcast episode is released.
The RSS feed’s job is to disseminate that information to the appropriate channels. Having an RSS feed is what sets your podcast apart from the others. It stores all the data that forms your podcast and makes it available to others.
A podcast-specific RSS feed can be set up in just four easy steps:
- Enter your address and password to create a free RSS podcasting account.
- Enter the verification code you get through email to confirm your account.
- Select “New Podcast” from the drop-down menu. When you click “Create Podcast,” you will be sent to a screen where you can enter information about your podcast.
- Then, label your podcast in up to three categories, upload a cover image and the author’s bio, and hit “Save and Finish.” To add the RSS feed to other programs or folders, click the “RSS Feed” button and copy and paste the resulting URL.
- Enhance Your Podcast’s Ranking On Google
Optimization is essential to understanding how to advertise a podcast (or anything else).
All of the metadata for your podcast has to be completed and checked for accuracy. Everything from the name and summary to the explicit rating and category is included here. Getting this right is crucial since it will allow people to locate your show in directories.
Remember these guidelines:
- Give listeners some context by describing your podcast in the RSS feed. In the description, insert keywords that will help people find the program.
- Use one or more relevant episode-specific keywords in the title of each episode. Put these keywords at the top of each podcast episode’s description to guarantee they appear on all platforms.
- Apply the same approaches to headlines and supporting images. Keywords should be direct and indirect.
- Make a Pitch for Cross-Promotion to Other Podcasters
Cross-promotion with other podcasters may enhance an audience, especially if demographics coincide. It is a great chance to network and promote your program.
It can be achieved by:
- Looking for related podcasts that cover similar ground or have a similar tone and style.
- Talking to the people behind these podcasts and giving them a taste of what you are serving out.
- Propose a cross-promotional deal or offer to be a guest on their podcast.
Ensure your guest appearance or program promotion helps their audience after cross-promotion. You should continue to guest-podcast other well-known podcasts or experts in your field. Having guests on your podcast increases its visibility and reliability – especially if they’re experts in your niche.
- Take Advantage of Email Marketing
Growing your podcast’s subscriber base through email list building is one of the most critical things you can do. Some possible approaches are as follows:
- To amass a sizable emailing list, you should incentivize people to sign up (freebies, discounts on products, or services).
- Surveys may also be conducted. Offer a discount or early access to the unique content in return for a customer’s email address and survey results.
- Before starting an email correspondence, you should have a firm grasp of the recipient’s nature and expectations. Introspection, experience, or Google Analytics may help you do this.
- After you know your visitors’ needs, provide them with something they can use immediately to keep them enrolled.
- Each email should include important information or resources to avoid spamming.
- The newest episodes may be linked to in a weekly email newsletter. Email marketing lets customers know how lengthy an episode is or how much work went into the narrative.
Don’t give up if your podcast doesn’t initially attract listeners; it takes time. You will be discovered if you keep releasing great content and promoting your program.
Consistency is the key to success; if you are ready to put in the effort, you will eventually see results. Get out there and make an impact now that you know the secrets of podcast promotion!