With over 1.5 billion users, Gmail has become essential for many. It is the product of one of the biggest search engines and helps its users manage their emails efficiently without hassle. From corporate-level email management to casual conversations, it has become a top choice for a free email service. Thanks to its advanced feature, you can effortlessly search your emails. However, a few users have often complained about Gmail search not finding emails. Let’s learn more about Gmail search not working problem.
Gmail Search Not Finding Emails: The Impact
The Gmail search performs the same function on the web as on Apple and Android smartphones. It helps you find an old email by just typing the email name or any other information that it contains in the search box. It searches the inbox and all the emails in your Gmail account. When the Gmail search not finding emails, you will be required to search the email manually, which is a very effort- and time-consuming job.
Resolve the “Gmail Search Not Finding Emails” Problem?
Is your search not working on Gmail? Don’t stress! Try these tactics to fix the issue and enjoy hassle-free service.
Check the Server Status
The first step you should take is to check the server status of Gmail. Sometimes, your Gmail search box cannot perform its job because of the server issue. To check the current status of Gmail, sever, you can take two approaches.
- By visiting the official serve status page dedicated to the Google workspace service. It will tell you if the service is operational or not.
- You can also try third-party websites such as Down Detector to identify service outages. They even display a map to confirm if the issue is local.
Test the Internet Connection
Now that you have verified that the Gmail server is up and running, it’s time to check your internet connection. An unstable internet connection can be why Gmail search is stuck on loading or unreturned results. Thus, before moving to the next quick fix, checking if your internet connection is functioning properly is important.
To assess the internet speed, you can use a third-party website such as Fast.com. If your internet connection is not working at its best, follow the steps shared below for app users.
- Turn on Airplane mode and after a few minutes, disable it.
- Switch between Wi-Fi connection or mobile data.
- Forget and re-connect to Wi-Fi
Again perform the speed test and if your internet speed is improved, try the Gmail search again. If the issue persists, follow the next strategies.
Turn on the Sync
One of the reasons your Gmail search box is not functioning properly on your mobile app is that you have turned off the sync. Unlike the Gmail web page, where every new information is automatically reflected, you can turn the sync on or off with a mobile app.
Most users turn off the Gmail sync to prevent the app from running in the background and optimize the battery life of their smartphone. However, as your Gmail account is not synchronized with the Gmail app, it can result in missing information or emails. You can turn on the Gmail sync on your mobile app by following the steps shared below:
- Launch the Gmail app on your phone
- Click on the “Menu,” and select “Settings”
- Select the email account whose Gmail search is not working.
- Check the “Sync Gmail” box and ensure that the setting is as per your preference.
Update Gmail App
So, your internet connection is working, and sync is on; however, you are still facing the issue with the Gmail search. It can be because of the outdated version of the app. To check and install the new version or update of Gmail, follow the steps shared below:
- For iOS, visit App Store. For Android smartphones, visit Google Play Store.
- Search for the Gmail app and select the page.
- An “Update button” will reflect on your screen if any update is available. Click it.
When your Gmail search is not working, follow the guide shared above. However, if you are still unable to access the search function, take the help of the support team for a quick and effective resolution.